MICS is grateful for the opportunity to share our story and challenges our Asian American community faces on local newspaper StarTribune. Read the full story at StarTribune.
The Minnesota International Chinese School (MICS) is partnering with the Chinese American Chamber of Commerce – MN (CACC-MN) and the Council for US-China Medical Technology Exchange, LLC (CUCMT) on a community fundraiser to benefit local restaurants and the fight against the coronavirus in China. Many local restaurants have pledged to donate a portion of their revenue from certain days to the fundraiser, titled In the Name of Love, which will use those funds to purchase much-needed medical supplies for hospitals on the front lines in China. The fundraiser is currently set to run until March 13th, with different restaurants participating each day.
With the outbreak of Covid-19 originating in Hubei Province, China, people across the country are on edge about the potential spread of the virus in America. This is true also of our communities in Minnesota, even though there are no confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the state. This is affecting our friends in service industries like restaurants, who are seeing their business drop amid concerns over the virus. Dominic Dwyer, a medical virologist at Westmead Hospital in Sydney, has said that the only risk of viral infection from eating at a restaurant is if one of the people you’re eating with is currently sick. “Generally, we say you’ve got to be within a meter or two, perhaps a bit more, of people with a disease to catch it,” he says. “It doesn’t make sense to think that you could get infected in the restaurant when the infection, as far as we’re aware, isn’t in the community.”
To show solidary with local communities and those fighting on the front lines in China, the In the Name of Love fundraiser is working to encourage support of our local restaurants while raising funds that will be used to help stop the spread of the virus at its source. The restaurants that have pledged to donate a portion of their revenue are listed below, along with the dates they are participating. Collected funds will be used to purchase medical devices like oxygen concentrators, which are needed to provide oxygen to patients in severe cases of Covid-19, no-touch infrared thermometers, medical protective clothing, full face respirators and more.
More information can be found at www.mnchinese.org/love and the Minnesota International Chinese School Facebook page. These pages will be updated regularly with information about the fundraiser, sponsoring organizations and ways to donate. So far, just 2nd week into the fundraiser, 30 medical-grade oxygen concentrators have already been purchased with donated funds and sent to hospitals in Wuhan. 5 out of the 30 oxygen concentrators have arrived at designated hospitals and community medical service centers. Please come out to support your local restaurants on days they are participating to make a difference in the local community and the global effort against Covid-19!
Participating restaurants and dates
- 2/22 Saturday, Grand Szechuan Restaurant, 10602 France Ave S, Bloomington, MN 55431
- 2/23 Sunday, Tokyo Sushi and Grill, 8080 Old Carriage Ct, Shakopee, MN 55379
- 2/24 Monday, Legendary Spice, 317 SE Huron Blvd, Minneapolis, MN 55414
- 2/25 Tuesday, Legendary Spice Hotpot, 2501 University Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN
- 2/26 Wednesday, Pagoda, 1417 4th St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414
- 2/27 Thursday, 98 Pounds Buffet, 824 W 98th St, Bloomington, MN 55420
- 2/28 Friday, Lakes Buffet, 9 E 66th St, Richfield, MN 55423
- 2/29 Saturday, Laiwah Chinese restaurant, 14050 Pilot Knob Rd #160, Apple Valley, MN 55124
- 3/1 Sunday, The Cajun House, 2600 University Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414
- 3/1 Sunday, Ten Sushi, 11631 Fountains Dr, Maple Grove, MN 55311
- 3/2 Monday, Ocean Buffet, 5800 Shingle Creek Pkwy, Brooklyn Park, MN 55430
- 3/2 Monday, Little Szechuan Hot Pot, 422 University Ave W, St Paul, MN 55103
- 3/3 Tuesday, Tokyo Sushi, 1895 S Robert St, West St Paul, MN 55118
- 3/3 Tuesday, Cajun Kitchen, 5440 W Broadway Ave, Crystal, MN 55428
- 3/4 Wednesday, Bonchon Dinkytown, 406 14th Ave SE, Dinkytown, MN 55414
- 3/4 Wednesday, East China, 5480 141st St W, Apple Valley, MN 55124
- 3/4 Wednesday, Sushi Train, 1200 Nicollet Mall STE C1, Minneapolis, MN 55403
- 3/5 Thursday, Kyoto Sushi, 8242 Commonwealth Dr, Eden Prairie, MN 55344
- 3/5 Thursday, Super World Buffet, 15050 Cedar Ave #111, Apple Valley, MN 55124
- 3/6 Friday, Mango Mango Dessert, 406 14th Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414
- 3/6 Friday, Nakamori Japanese Bistro, 7101 France Ave S #113, Edina, MN 55435
- 3/7 Saturday, Golden Wok Rochester, 1217 Marion Rd SE Suite 100, Rochester, MN 55904
- 3/7 Saturday, Grand Szechuan Restaurant, 10602 France Ave S, Bloomington, MN 55431
MICS is excited to announce a new partnership with Theater Mu, the second largest Asian American arts organization in the country. Through performance and community outreach, Mu provides an unparalleled resource for Asian American artists, introduces Asian American stories and issues to audiences of all backgrounds, and gives Asian Americans of all ages and ethnicities a place to connect and belong.
To register, please click here.
To learn more about MU Theater, please click here.
Edina, MN 55439 [email protected] (612)618-0067 MNChinese.org
South View Middle School
4725 South View Ln,
Edina, MN 55424
Apple Valley Campus
South Suburban Evangelical Church (SSEFC)
12600 Johnny Cake Ridge Rd,
Apple Valley, MN 55124
(next to Minnesota Zoo)
Turtle Lake Elementary
1141 Lepak Court
Shoreview, MN 55126